WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Funding for business

jv1597jv1597 subscriber Posts: 5
edited September 2015 in Business Planning
I have a seedling business with $0 capital, and I'm in need of funding for patenting costs. I did some research and read that a utility patent costs around $3000-$4000. Does anyone know of any funding sources?

Comments

• hnaviahnavia subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi, there should be some options locally to get $3-4k. You could try a credit line, a small loan from credit unions or small banks, or from family and friends. I don't want to sound like I am soliciting, but since you asked directly, I do know a company that provides loans to small businesses, but usually they start at $25,000. If you plan on starting a business, you will definitely need more than $4,000.
    When do you need these funds? Have you made a budget or built out a financial plan for your company's future expenses?
  • cassy11cassy11 subscriber Posts: 0
    Totally agree! Of course, it depends on the type of business, but you should work on a business plan at first. If it is good, I am sure you will find investors or even sponsors.
    Hi, thanks for your posts! I've gone over my options as far as loans are concerned, but I don't have the earnings to acquire a loan of $3,000-$10,000 right now. I have some pretty good product ideas I'm working on right now, but don't want to utilize crowdfunding resources, as I'm at a $0 dollar position financially, and would require some funding for prototyping, and development. I really don't feel comfortable listing my idea without the minimal patenting either.
    So I was just inquiring if anyone had come across this type of situation, and whether they knew of any resources for $0 seedling micro entities.
    Thanks.