WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Website domain name conflicts (similarities)

kemurikemuri subscriber Posts: 1
edited October 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
Hi,
This is my first post My friends and I came up with this idea of a website that we`re planning to launch initially in our country (Philippines). We came up with a domain name, yooshops.com. We thought it was nice and started building the website. A few days later, I found out about another website that`s already running, ushops.com. If you read yooshops and ushops, they sound the same. And our ideas for yooshops have some similarities with what ushops does too.So I`m asking for your suggestions on what to do. Should we go on with our domain name (yooshops)? If we do, will there be any legal complications? This is our first try in building a web startup by the way. So we could really use your help/suggestions kemuri10/15/2008 5:46 PM

Comments

• sullivankasullivanka subscriber Posts: 0
    This one is hard to say.  They are different enough that it would be doubtful that you will run into legal problems.  On the other hand, you want to be unique on the internet, and since the names sound the same, it may be better to try another.
    Do you have any backup names?  If you do, go to a site where you can purchase domain names and plug the name into the field and check if it is in use. 
    Additionally, if you do come up with the perfect or near perfect name for your business, purchase ALL of the related sites.  Get the .com, .net, .org and the one that would relate to your country.  This is very important as you do not want someone approaching later when you are wishing to buy the others and they present you with a huge price tag for the domains.  Another benefit to purchasing all of the related domain names is that they become important assets of your business. 
    Kathleen
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    sounding alike is enough to cause a problem in some situations.
  • kemurikemuri subscriber Posts: 1
    Thanks guys,
    @patentandtrademarkI thought so too. Just wanted to make sure since I don`t have enough knowledge in legal stuffs.@sullivankaThat`s my problem, we`re having a hard time thinking of another name. That yooshops name took quite a while too. Do you guys know of any website where I can find good ideas for domain names?
  • sullivankasullivanka subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi James
    I was hoping someone would give a definitive answer on the legal question.  This is very good for me know as well, as I build blogsites. 
    Kemuri
    It is very difficult to come up with domain names.  So many are already in use.  Maybe someone here could help.  What is it that you will have on your site?
    Kathleen
  • kemurikemuri subscriber Posts: 1
    @sullivanka

Our site will have similarities with ushops, but it`s going to have different feature sets due to the market that we`re focusing on (Philippines). 

@CraigL
    Good point. It`s back to the drawing board I guess.
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Windy`s brand hamburgers is probably confusing similar to Wendy`s brand hamburgers (which is bad).